"To be, or not to be; that is the bare bodkin, that makes calamity of so long life."

- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn; 1885




Saturday, October 30, 2010

November, thou beest the harbinger of fair tidings...


The nip in the evening Delhi air tells me: it's that time of the year again, when the Devil is by my side, egging me to grow a pair of horns and a forked tail.

The Indian Devil Tree and I go back a long way. And the only feeling that wells up in my chest as I take a deep breath to savor the first hints of the little white devils in the air, is pure exhilaration. A similar Alstonia flourished right in front of my hostel room back in the days. Come October end, and my little cozy room, with its yellow bell flowers that graced the edges of its large windows and the sweet, intoxicating fragrance of the little devil flowers, teleported me to what seemed like a personal Garden of Eden.

Next ushered in the days of flimsy sweat shirts; late nights spent trying to group study for end semester exams and instead indulging in silly girlish revelries over cheap rum and boy-talk; inevitably missing the first class next morning; panicking about absolute lack of direction in one's life, or of an impressive internship opportunity for the upcoming vacation.

The scent of the Devil Tree, brings it all back to me.

And I finally feel free! Oh so free. So not in love anymore. So at peace with myself. So ready to take a deep breath, to let go, to let this smell fill up my lungs, my heart and my upcoming Delhi winters with all things lovely and fragrant. I am just about beginning to think it would be nice to find someone who keeps me warm this winter. It's been a while, no?

1 comment: