"To be, or not to be; that is the bare bodkin, that makes calamity of so long life."

- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn; 1885




Thursday, September 30, 2010

How to Eat a Wolf.

[This poem, ‘How to Eat a Wolf’ is from Sharanya Manivannan’s book of poems "Witchcraft" (Bullfighter Books). It has been reproduced here with the permission of the author. I am an avid reader of Sharanya's blog and look forward to her "Venus Flytrap" posts.

Where most young writers these days focus on the contemporary style of writing, Sharanya is lyrical, without sounding archaic. She has just the right word for what she wants to say and I love it when words just fit! In my opinion, she is one of the most promising upcoming young writers. You can visit her blog here and her website here. Being a spoken word artist too, you may listen to her reciting some of her other poems here.

This poem struck a chord with me. I have read and re-read it several times. Especially the last few lines. I wanted to share this. Hope you like it too.]

Does all lust start
and end like this?
Don’t get me wrong.
I loved my wolf.
I held him tethered
like a pussycat. I nursed
the rumble in his belly
with hands gentle as a burglar’s.
He lived on milk and blood and ocean.
He had violets for his furs.

It’s just that he was
beginning to devour me.
He nuzzled me with claws,
fondled me with fangs sharp as yearning
He snaked a tongue so hungry in its kiss
it turned my body to salt.

How do you douse
a dervish swirl? I asked.
Devour it, you said.

So I fantasised
about eating his balls,
rolling them in semolina seeds
and roasting them golden.
I got blooddrunk
on the thought of the
crisp tender cartilage of his ear,
left to simmer in tequila and cilantro.
The dry teats turned
sweet when baked with cinnamon
applesauce, or drizzled with chocolate.
The tangy musk of austerely steamed eyelid.

I set traps.
Mine is the deepest void,
the deepest void you’ll ever know.
And so I lured him to a well.
A wolf can drown in its own
wetness. But mine swam
and lapped and doggypaddled
until I waded back in to get him.


Mine is the darkest smoulder,
the darkest smoulder you’ll ever know.
And so I conspired to let him burn.
A wolf can poach in its own juices.
But mine danced on coals and leapt
ablaze, until I pussyfooted back in to get him.

I became desperate.
I preached to my wolf
about suicide, proselytized
about reincarnation. Come back
as a sleepy kitten, I said.
Come back as a hibernating bear.
Come back as a snail
with a flag trail of surrender.
But my love was indefatigable.
It was volcano and oceanic tremor. It was
a black lace bra and
too much jazz at 3 a.m.
My love was as big as betrayal.
I pleaded and pleaded until

you finally looked up and said,

You can only kill a wolf
you don’t want to have,

and only then did I see that

your love
was exactly
the size of two fists.

2 comments:

  1. Very surprisingly, I was just discussing the transition from a soft kitty to a ferocious wolf today, damn...

    ReplyDelete